Erosion and Sediment Control (preparation for IECA CPESC examination) QLD
Four one day professional development workshops for practitioners in Erosion and Sediment Control, based on the IECA Best Practice in Erosion and Sediment Control Manual (2008). Includes detailed coverage of the revised Appendix B (2018) including Type A and Type B sediment basins. Together the workshops cover the theory required for the IECA Fundamentals Examination for Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC). Examination candidates need to know both the theory and its application in a practical context and must have requisite experience.
Workshop 1 (one day): Fundamentals of Erosion and Sediment Control
Workshop 1 covers the regulatory requirements, basic soil science, problem soils and how, when and why to use various erosion and sediment control products and practices. It provides independent guidance on the selection, suitability and application of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures on construction and development sites. The workshop includes exercises on reading and understanding real-world examples of Erosion and Sediment Control Plans.
- Legal Considerations for Erosion and Sediment Control
- Theory of Erosion and Sediment Control
- Soils, Problem Soils and Soil Conservation
- Selection and Implementation of Erosion and Sediment Control Products and Techniques
Workshop 2 (one day): How to use the IECA Guidelines
Workshop 2 reviews the contents of the IECA Best Practice in Erosion and Sediment Control Manual and provides guidance, including the use of a flowchart, on how to use the manual for developments in Queensland. Participants require a calculator.
- Site Assessment and Site Planning
- Erosion Hazard Assessment and Use of the RUSLE Equation
- Where to Find Relevant Information in the IECA Document
- Drainage, Erosion and Sediment Control Standards in accordance with IECA 2008
- Working in Watercourses
- Group Exercises - Planning for Erosion and Sediment Control on Construction Sites and Preparing an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan for a Single Lot Construction Site
Workshop 3 (one day): Water Management on Construction Sites
Workshop 3 trains those responsible for the design of erosion and sediment control measures on development sites. This workshop focuses mainly on sediment basins and water diversion structures, two key features of any Erosion and Sediment Control Plan. Participants should bring a notebook, pen and, if possible, a laptop computer. Software will be provided.
- Theory of Water Management
- Application of Water Management on Construction Sites
- Sizing and Designing Types A, B, C and D Sediment Basins
- Calculating Flows for Design of Catch Drains and Diversion Structures
- Practical Examples and Real-life Practice Exercises - Small Construction Sites, Rail Corridors, Creek Crossings and Pipelines.
Workshop 4 (one day): Preparing and Reviewing Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
Workshop 4 draws together the information presented in the earlier workshops. It covers the identification and design of erosion and sediment control measures on development sites and their delineation on a plan. It involves extensive group work and practical exercises to prepare and review ESCPs on major projects. Participants should ideally bring a laptop computer to complete the various exercises (one between two or three participants is acceptable).
- Site Inspections, Use of Checklists and Key Points to Check
- Guided Practical Examples and Real-life Practice Exercises in ESCP Preparation and Review for Major Commercial and Road Developments